Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cave Grande - June 2 2007

Ok so I'm not great at updating my blog, mainly because nothing ever happens lol ..


Saturday was quite an experience! A friend called me on Friday evening asking if I would be up for a 'strenuous' hike to Cave Grande. She & her husband got tickets through the base to go but he got called into work .. she already had a babysitter & it was paid for but she didn't want to do it by herself. I thought it over and decided that I'd go (with some coaxing from Joe & Lane)

It was fantastic! I don't know why I was so hesitant! The view from the top was breathtaking

This is the view from the top!



If you look closely you can see the pools in the center of the picture, looks like a valley.


The hike down took roughly an hour (probably less, but I didn't have a watch on) and that part was nice & easy although at times a little tough on the knees as some of the steps ie. carved stone were two feet tall.





We got to a fork in the road and had to decide which Italian site we would choose. Not being able to read it we went to the right, so glad we did to! We came upon beautiful natural swimming pools. I changed as quickly as possible and my friend & I jumped in only to find that the beautiful water was FREEZING! And I need to point out, we were the only girls to even jump in the water! I would definitely have been kicking myself had I not brought my suit!

Beautiful, cold & clean water :)


The BIG jump!


We got out of the first pool to explore a bit more, we came to an even bigger pool and I didn't think it possible, but I swear it was colder!



We were done being so cold, so we changed & ate quickly and set out to see more. We had to cross a stream by balancing on fallen trees, made me think of dirty dancing! We crossed and climbed a bunch of rocks and came to a natural dam. It was very beautiful!



On the trek back up I was cursing the whole hike! It took a bit more time to get back up and my legs are sore today, but it was great! I'd love for Joe to come with me, but I don't see my smoker husband doing something like this! ha!

Overall I'm happy I went and I am rather proud of myself, I felt great afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment