Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Something’s missing

Every so often I feel that something is missing. In Sicily we had our group of friends and although making friends took a little bit of time and “friend dates” we had people to call and hang out with. While in the process of making these friends, I had made some really great virtual friends. Yes, friends that I met online. It was a group of ladies in a similar situation as my own; although not military they were in countries other than their home country. We discussed current news, political events, thoughts and feelings and joked around. I find myself missing that very much. Now back on the other side of the world, I find that I am in a very similar situation as our first few months in Sicily.

So the question comes to mind again. As an adult, how do you meet people? There is of course the work place. I tried to pursue some potential friendships at work, they failed. For one reason or another but it seems that working directly for the *boss* didn’t help. Hubby and I are currently living in a community where the average age is 60+. So now the question is how do you meet people and make friends that are in your age group, when the selection is so limited. Also a deterring factor is that Joe & I do not have children. I have been told by friends, with children, that they are often reluctant to invite us as couple to something since we don’t have kids. I don’t think anyone likes annoying children, but Joe and I tend to like kids. Especially since Joe is a big kid himself!

I’m not complaining, not begging just reminiscing really. I miss the IN’s and hope you are all doing well!

5 comments:

  1. We're still out here! And I miss you too! Abby was here a few weeks ago and we talked about how we've fallen out of touch with you. I have lots of time on my hands, so let me know if you ever want to gchat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're having a rough time meeting people. Are there any groups or clubs you can join? Maybe a book club or something to do with photography? Maybe a class at the gym, like yoga, or at a dog park with Gella?

    We miss you too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lane I will keep that in mind and try to catch you on gchat :)

    Abby, thank you for the suggestions. I've been considering taking some classes and surprisingly I miss school, perhaps it's time to get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can still visit the IN's, although there are a whole lot of new ones, and some of the 'old' ones.
    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we miss you too! It is hard to make friends, especially as DINK's. I hope you meet some new friends soon. x

    ReplyDelete