Saturday, March 22, 2008

Warm & buttery

Lately I've been on this cooking/baking kick I'm not sure why, but I figure I'll just go with it hubby certainly isn't complaining! I've tried recipes from friends and some from people I don't know, but I'd like to mention something I made this morning. Katie has been inspiring me, I've made a few of the things she's posted, but these were easy (especially since I put everything in the food processor) and healthy. Here's the recipe:

Whole Grain Banana Strawberry Muffins

Ingredients:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour (I used all wheat)
1 c. oats
2/3 c. dark brown sugar, packed
1/8 c. wheat bran (I couldn't find this)
1/8 c. golden flax, finely ground
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large bananas, mashed (the browner the better)
1/8 c. honey
1 c. plain low fat yogurt (all I had was vanilla)
1 egg
1 c. finely chopped fresh strawberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tin.
In large bowl, combine dry ingredients making sure there are no large lumps in the brown sugar and set aside.
In medium bowl, mash bananas thoroughly and stir in honey, yogurt and egg.
Fold banana mixture into dry ingredients until combined well.
Fold strawberries into mixture.
Spoon mixture into muffin tin, evenly disbursing between all 12 cups.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out relatively clean.
Let muffins cool for 3-5 minutes and then remove from pan to cool on wire racks before serving.

I'm not sure if the changes I did made that much of a diffference, but this made a dozen normal sized muffins and a dozen mini muffins. I love them so I'm happy about that!

As I'm sitting here eating Carrot cake, I thought I'd mention she's got a great recipe for that as well! Yummy Carrot Cake

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm so flattered *I* am inspiring someone. That idea is so crazy to me. I'm so glad you liked these, though! These were ones where I impressed myself. I'm no baker. They are so yummy though! Can't wait to see what else you whip up! :)

    ReplyDelete